future of ABIs (was Re: [gst-devel] amarok)

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Wed Mar 17 06:28:02 CET 2004

> I've been quiet about this, but we're using GStreamer extensively in the
> company I work for. We do media streaming (ok, via HTTP), we do media
> re-encoding, scene splitting to new files, media filtering etcetera. I can
> assue you that all those basic functions work. From my tests so far, I'd
> say that creating a row of scenes (the basis of a video editor) is easily
> possible using our current featureset.

The two biggest problems I see, and that you probably don't experience,
because they are not required for the stuff you describe or the simple
decoding of Rb/Totem, are dynamic replugging and SMP safety.

The first part will be exceptionally hard to fix if noone gets working on an
app that needs this soon ;)

Benjamin