[gst-devel] Audioconvert issues

iain iain at prettypeople.org
Thu Mar 18 15:08:12 CET 2004

Okay, first off, an apology to david to whom I was a bit of a dick on
IRC. I'm sorry, I was just really frustrated that I've not been able to
work on Marlin for ages...

Secondly, with this pipeline

filesrc ! spider ! audioconvert ! audio/x-raw-float ! deinterleave !
sink

audioconvert always converts to mono. david says this is because
audioconverts src pad says "I don't care what I get" and the sink pad
says the same so they fix on mono audio. If I add a channels=2 into the
filter caps then it'll give me stereo data, but I cannot know before
hand what format of data is coming from spider, it could be mono, stereo
or 65 channel audio, so I can't hard code it. There is also apparently
no way to get the data from spider, so I can't filter it later when I
know.

ds says that real problem is that audioconvert is doing too much, and
that it should only be doing int/float, depth and width conversions, and
not number of channels. His suggestion for me to be able to get it
working was "Complain on the mailing list that audioconvert is doing too
much stuff", so this is my complaint.

I don't really know what it's supposed to do, but in my head
audioconvert should not be doing anything, unless it is told to somehow
(either by caps nego at the src pad or filtered connection). So if it
has 2 channel audio coming in, then it should pass 2 channel out again.
In effect it would work like an identity element. That is what makes
sense to me, the current practise seems broken to me.

iain