[gst-devel] Audioconvert issues

Andy Wingo wingo at pobox.com
Fri Mar 19 04:02:02 CET 2004

Hi Iain,

On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 01:23, iain wrote:
> audioconvert always converts to mono.

Yum, caps. The problem is in the link process. After trying simple
passthrough operation, there is really a hierarchy of options for
conversion. Like first try to just change formats, then changing the
integer representation, then channels. That kind of iterative process is
best reflected in the fixate process. So the source pad should have a
fixate function that will fixate the channels properly, but still allow
channels conversion.

Unfortunately I don't have a dev setup working atm, or I would code. Try
writing a fixate function on the src pad.

Wrt "audioconvert is doing too much"... I disagree, because it used to
work with buffer-frames and now I actually have to write a
buffer-frames-convert element, which is stupid because it worked before.
Why break something that works? And surely this would be a functionality
change, although not an ABI change. An app written against 0.8.0 to use
specific elements (i.e., not an autoplugging app) should work throughout
the 0.8 lifecycle, modulo bugfixes. I don't think we really understand
that.

Regards,
--
Andy Wingo <wingo at pobox.com>