[gst-devel] DVD Events

Jan Schmidt thaytan at mad.scientist.com
Tue Mar 23 05:26:03 CET 2004

<quote who="Martin Soto">
> On Tue, 2004-03-23 at 01:33, Jan Schmidt wrote:
> > More general to do:
> >   Aspect ratio handling so MPEGs are displayed with the correct pixel ratio.
>
> General question: how is this supposed to be managed in GStreamer?
> Events? Stream info? Tags? Capabilities? I really have no idea.

My understanding here is less than perfect, so I may have a detail wrong.

In my gst-launch dvd play pipeline:
gst-launch dvdnavsrc ! mpegdemux name=demux .video_00 ! mpeg2dec ! \
mpeg2subt name=sub ! videoscale method=3 !
video/x-raw-yuv,width=1024,height=576 ! \
ffcolorspace ! ximagesink demux.subtitle_stream_0 ! sub.subtitle \
demux.private_stream_1_0 ! { queue ! a52dec ! audioscale ! esdsink }

mpeg2dec caps output contains pixel_height and pixel_width, which everything
downstream ignores because they don't care.

pixel_width=(int)64, pixel_height=(int)45

mpeg2dec is actually producing a 720x576 image, which is widescreen and I'm
using videoscale to resize that by 64/45=1.422 width to make 1024x576.
There's no reason xvimagesink couldn't do this in hardware AFAIK if it
understood pixel_width and pixel_height. ximagesink, cacasink etc would need
videoscale to do the rescale in software.

J.
Jan Schmidt                                  thaytan at mad.scientist.com

Have you been half-asleep? Have you heard voices?
I've heard them calling my name...
 -Kermit the Frog (Rainbow Connection)