[gst-devel] flacenc weirdness with latest gstreamer

chris.chris14 at comcast.net chris.chris14 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 24 14:47:04 CET 2004

One of the reasons I used gst during the 0.6 series was since it was the only real native way of messing around with Monkey's Audio (APE) files. It was fairly easy (if a bit tedius since I don't really have the patience to learn enough C/Python/etc to make my own gst-based transcoder) to convert APEs to FLACs...

Somehow, my gst 0.6 installation got broken so I eventually decided to try to recompile the APE plugin against 0.8. I eventually made a CVS checkout from freedesktop and went on my way.

The plugin seemed to work; I could pipe an APE I had to alsasink and play it.

My next step was to use gst-launch to transcode the APE file using this pipeline:
$ gst-launch-0.8 filesrc location="bleh.ape" ! monkeysdec ! flacenc ! filesink location="bleh.flac"

And it gives me this error:
RUNNING pipeline ...
ERROR: from element /pipeline0/flacenc0: Could not initialize supporting library.
Additional debug info:
gstflacenc.c(583): gst_flacenc_chain: /pipeline0/flacenc0:
could not initialize encoder (wrong parameters?)
Execution ended after 1 iterations (sum 35634000 ns, average 35634000 ns, min 35634000 ns, max 35634000 ns).

At first I thought it might have been the monkeysdec, since, well, it was from CVS as opposed to the flacenc that came from the stable gst-plugins release.

So I try using the 'lame' to encode the ape into a MP3. Worked fine.
I try playing back a flac using "flacdec ! alsasink," noticing the "supporting library" bit. That also works fine.

Specs:
Duron 900mhz
512mb SDRAM
Gentoo
CFLAGS = -Os -march=i686 -funroll-loops -pipe

And FWIW, I am using an ebuild that compiles FLAC from CVS.

Any ideas to fix this? Probably not the most sane setup at all. :P
Thanks in advance!
-sj