[gst-devel] mpeg4ip clone based on gstreamer

Ronald S. Bultje R.S.Bultje at students.uu.nl
Wed Mar 24 19:14:08 CET 2004

hi,

On Wed, 2004-03-24 at 22:19, Yann Klis wrote:
> A friend of mine and I are currently thinking on the ways to develop a
> gstreamer clone of mpeg4ip http://mpeg4ip.sourceforge.net/

Awesome!

> So, we'd like to know if all modules implied in this process are
> available in Gstreamer and, what is their status ?
> Is there an MPEG4 video encoder module available ?

Yes. There's ffenc_mpeg4, which is probably what you want. There's also
xvidenc and divxenc, but Apple's Quicktime/MPEG-4 decoder probably won't
decode those. Lives in gst-ffmpeg, status is working.

> Is there an AAC audio encoder module available ?

Yes, faac. Requires libfaac, lives in gst-plugins. Dunno about status. I
guess it works mostly, but I might need to update one or two bits since
we've moved to a new capsnego system since I wrote it.

> Is there an MP4 muxer module available?

No. That's a Quicktime muxer, btw. ;).

> Is there an RTP sender module available?

Sort of, but I don't know its status or how that works.

> If those module exists, what are their status? How can we help to make
> them better?

By testing them extensively and reporting all bugs. I'll gladly help in
fixing bugs or learning how to fix them yourself. Read the Plugin
Writer's Guide to learn how to write/fix plugins.

Ronald