[gst-devel] Audioconvert issues

Andy Wingo wingo at pobox.com
Fri Mar 26 08:19:12 CET 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 22:47, David Schleef wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 11:07:06AM +0200, Andy Wingo wrote:
> > Hi Iain,
> >
> > On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 01:23, iain wrote:
> > > audioconvert always converts to mono.
> >
> > the source pad should have a
> > fixate function that will fixate the channels properly, but still allow
> > channels conversion.
>
> I've had to explain this about 4 times now,

So explain it for the first time on the list :-))

> In a fixate function, it's not possible to
> determine the number of channels that is about to be set on the other
> pad.  (You can only determine the number of channels _already_ set
> on the other pad.)

A subtle point. But what could be wrong about simply caching the
caps-to-be-set so they're available to the fixate function? It's not
automatic, but then, so little about caps is... This seems to me to be
easier than making more elements and having to write complex apps.

You and I were talking (me a bit tipsily) that evening about changes to
audioconvert, and I wanted to a make sure the list saw our conclusion:

	audioconvert cannot be changed now. If a plugin's core
	functionality has to be changed, its name must also change
	and the old plugin has to be kept around.

Otherwise we break people's apps, and that won't win us any free beer at
the next guadec :)

Regards,
--
Andy Wingo <wingo at pobox.com>