[gst-devel] Audioconvert issues

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Fri Mar 19 12:48:03 CET 2004

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 11:07:06AM +0200, Andy Wingo wrote:
> Hi Iain,
>
> On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 01:23, iain wrote:
> > audioconvert always converts to mono.
>
> Yum, caps. The problem is in the link process. After trying simple
> passthrough operation, there is really a hierarchy of options for
> conversion. Like first try to just change formats, then changing the
> integer representation, then channels. That kind of iterative process is
> best reflected in the fixate process. So the source pad should have a
> fixate function that will fixate the channels properly, but still allow
> channels conversion.

I've had to explain this about 4 times now, but this problem can't
be solved correctly (i.e., automatically) by fixating.  The problem,
in this particular case, is that you want the same number of channels
on the input and output.  In a fixate function, it's not possible to
determine the number of channels that is about to be set on the other
pad.  (You can only determine the number of channels _already_ set
on the other pad.)

This is very easily solved by having simpler elements that mess
with individual features of the stream, and not everything at once
like audioconvert.  I have no problems with audioconvert _itself_,
and audioconvert and the simpler elements could probable share
up to 90% of their code.

dave...