[gst-devel] Benchmark for MPEG Decoders

Ronald S. Bultje R.S.Bultje at students.uu.nl
Sat Mar 27 11:17:10 CET 2004

Hi Addicam,

On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 18:46, Sanjay, Addicam V wrote:
> I have been trying to find out what are the bench mark factors, which
> determines, how one MPEG Decoder (Soft /hard) performs against
> another? And which is better.

ffmpeg uses the concept of "PSNR", which means pixel-squared-noise-ratio
or so. They have a tool called tinypsnr which calculates the noise in a
decoded frame with respect to the original, I guess this would be a good
way. However, this requires the original frame to be available too, so
it won't work on any MPEG movie, you have to create a real testsuite for
this, containing original movie in a lossless format (preferrably
captured by DV or ripped from DVD or so, something high-quality).

Then, of course, decoding time is important, but I guess you knew that
already (the standard unix 'time' tool can do all this for you).

Ronald