[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] leroutier gstreamer: gstreamer/gst/elements/ gstreamer/gst/schedulers/

Stéphane LOEUILLET stephane.loeuillet at tiscali.fr
Fri May 28 03:54:05 CEST 2004

Le ven 28/05/2004 à 11:03, Johan Dahlin a écrit :
> > - removing some trailing commas in enums to please C90 only compilers (AIX, Forte, ...)
> > ('should' fix #143290)
> > should/could we compile gst with -ansi -pedantic to catch those in the build-bots ?
>
> -pendantic is not useful, it turns on too many checks, which are
> pedantic. And AFAIK there is no way to turn on some of the options, like
> the trailing comman in enums/structs.
>
> -ansi might be a good idea if it's not already there.
> What kind of errors will it catch that we're not catching today?

well, i tried to compile gst core with -ansi and/or -pedantic, this is a
no-go :

it forces gcc in pure ansi c89 mode, so gst would never compile as
variadic macros are c99 only

i saw that my gentoo was filtering some CFLAGS, so, i removed this
filtering and saw that -Wall -Werror was triggering some simple other
errors (like redeclaration of GETTEXT_PACKAGE)

i see no way to trigger only the parts of pedantic that we want,
unfortunatly

unlike what my changelog says, Forte is fine with those trailing commas.
but AIX compiler and perhaps many other proprietary compilers won't
handle this C99 specificity.

perhaps there is a way to detect this f.....g AIX compiler and enable
some magic compiler option to make it like C99 ...

++ & bye