[gst-devel] Re: DirectShow conversion to Gstreamer

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Mon Nov 1 04:24:16 CET 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 08:45, ChristianHJW wrote:
> It appears to me like you are trying hard to not the world know there is
> one. Maybe because you are afraid of bad reactions from the Linux side ?
> Am i getting paranoid ?

I think you're really just a bit paranoid. We love the porting work that
has been done and are hoping that you guys will continue to do so. As
far as I know, Steve has CVS access and (with that) has all access to
the website to add anything he wants. Several times, after pre-releases,
he has contributed some patches for last-minute compile failures, which
seems to imply that it's working fairly well, no? I don't think there's
much more that we can do, especially given the fact that most of us are
in fact not running Windows ourselves.

As for the native video/audio sinks: yes, it's a pity that they don't
exist yet. We tell people that when they ask us, and we're trying to
motivate such people to write them. However, we can't force anything.

Let's be concrete: if there's any place on the website where you would
want the port to be explicitely mentioned, please let me know where and
how and I will add it. There's Windows build instructions included in
our releases. The only thing missing is pre-compiled binaries, which we
currently only provide for Red Hat/Fedora (x86). All other OSes and
platforms are handled by third parties, and links to such locations are
included in our release notes. I propose that you guys host the
pre-compiled Windows binaries on your website and we will link to this
in our release notes, just like we do for Novell, Mandrake, Debian and
so on. If there's anything else that needs conrete attention, please let
us know, ok?

Ronald
--
Ronald S. Bultje <rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net>