[gst-devel] status of AAF support in gstreamer?

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Sat Oct 2 07:37:58 CEST 2004

Hi Jeremy,

yeah, me again. ;).

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 15:30, Jeremy Gwinnup wrote:
> I have a quick question: Has anyone been working on gstreamer support
> for the "Advanced Authoring Format" (AAF) - see
> http://www.aafassociation.org
>
> It appears to be a container format, similar to .avi or Matroska.

I just got the specs for MXF (I want to write a MXF demuxer at some
point), and waddayaknow, MXF is a subset of AAF (EG41, p. 3/7/...). So,
aren't you looking for an actual MXF demuxer?

Now, we don't have a MXF demuxer yet, neither do we have any reason to
actually have one except for it being commercially interesting (hey,
let's just get to the point). No single movie on kazaa or whatever place
you get your movies from is in the MXF format. However, it's used a lot
in the industry.

I'm going to write a MXF demuxer eventually, currently purely out of
interest. Therefore, I don't think I'll spend a considerable amount of
time on it unless I've got a good reason to. Community request is one
such reason, and there's other ways. It's remarkably similar to
Matroska, so it won't be hard for me to write it once I know the
details, I can probably borrow most low-level code from ebmlread. For
now, I'm still reading docs, though, so it won't be ready tomorrow.

Ronald

PS where do I find MXF sample files?

--

Ronald S. Bultje <rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net>