[gst-devel] gst-register

Thomas Kuleßa tkulessa at yahoo.de
Thu Oct 21 06:08:27 CEST 2004

Hi,

I am about to package my gstreamer based app for Debian.
As part of the installation process
"gst-register --gst-plugin-path=<myapp>" gets called from the post
installation script to register the application specific plugins.

The first problem is, that the registry.xml file will be created
in /root/.gstreamer/, which is useless. I remember an older version of
gstreamer created it somewhere under /etc. The manual says the same. At
least under Sarge with the gstreamer-0.8 packages there is no
/etc/gstreamer directory. So is this a Debian specific bug, or is the
registry process broken in general?

Another more fundamental problem with gst-register is, that it simply
overwrites the registry file, instead of updating it. So it can not be
used by different gstreamer based apps which each bring their own
plugins and which do not know of each other. Has anybody spent a thought
about this already?

Thanks for help,

Thomas