[gst-devel] Questions about video plugins

Joshua Pollak jpollak at cra.com
Fri Oct 22 01:24:13 CEST 2004

Hello,

I am trying to write an interface to GStreamer for the cross platform
computer vision library I work on. I would like to have a system that
constructs a GStreamer graph with an arbitrary video input and allows
me to access to the video frame buffers. Probably via a callback. Is
this possible without writing a plugin? What element do I want to use?

Also, it appears gstreamer doesn't have a plugin for 1394 digital
cameras. Is that correct? Is anyone working on one? I'm referring to
libdc1394 cameras that conform to the 1394 Digital Camera interface
(usually at /dev/video1394/xxx, not Digital Video cameras which work
with libdv1394 and DV.

One final question, how do I itemize what file formats gstreamer
supports, and then figure out what element I need to create for a given
file? I know it has to do with typefind, and maybe autoplug, but I
found the documentation a bit out of date, and I couldn't get the
examples working.

Thanks,

Josh