[gst-devel] is it mandatory?

Martin Soto soto at informatik.uni-kl.de
Wed Sep 8 00:58:05 CEST 2004

Hi!

On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 04:59, Zeeshan Ali wrote:
>     It's been three days that I have'nt been able to debug the problem
> with the massink which was introduced as soon as I made the element a
> clock provider. I wanted to know if it's mandatory on an audio sink to
> provide a clock? If it is then I'll simply (and quitelly) move massink
> back to gst-sandbox (not the gst-rotten :)).

Well, one problem we have is that there's no official (whatever that is
for GStreamer) specification of expected element behavior. As with other
GStreamer aspects, everyone seems to have a slightly different
understanding of what's required, what's desired, and what should be
avoided. We really need to work on that.

Anyway, in this case, the main effect of not providing a clock is that
you cannot do synchronization with the element. For example, you cannot
play a video's soundtrack through MAS and expect it to be lip
synchronized with the video.

This is, in my opinion, a major drawback, and if you can't manage to get
it working, I think you'd rather move it back to the sandbox. On the
other hand, it shouldn't be that hard to make it work. Maybe if you
share more information with the list we can figure out a solution for
the problem.

Enjoy,

M. S.
--