[gst-devel] status of AAF support in gstreamer?

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Mon Sep 27 07:21:35 CEST 2004

Hi Jeremy,

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 15:30, Jeremy Gwinnup wrote:
> I have a quick question: Has anyone been working on gstreamer support
> for the "Advanced Authoring Format" (AAF) - see
> http://www.aafassociation.org

No.

> It appears to be a container format, similar to .avi or Matroska.
>
> If there isn't one, what parts of gstreamer plugin code should I look at
> to start writing a demuxer for this format.

Depends on the type of container format. If it's a strict,
non-resyncable container format, look at quicktime, avi or
matroskademux. If it's easily resyncable, look at ogg or mpegdemux. The
code in all those is heavily different because of differences in
container format, differences in how their contained codecs work,
differences in container capabilities and so on. So look at the one
closest to AAF. From avidemux and matroskademux, I'd say matroskademux
is somewhat easier because it doesn't require as many hacks as avi. Then
again, the container format is more difficult, avi parsing is simpler.
Look at both and ask questions if you're not sure. ;).

Ronald

Ronald

--
Ronald S. Bultje <rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net>