[gst-devel] status of AAF support in gstreamer?

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Mon Sep 27 08:13:44 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 16:42, Steve Lhomme wrote:
> Well, Matroska is resyncable too. Maybe not heavily like MPEG or OGG,
> but far better than AVI.

It is resyncable in a certain way. However, it really just isn't.

Ogg and MPEG have fixed data points. Matroska doesn't, because it allows
for any chunk ID (like AVI). Therefore, any unknown ID should be skipped
and therefore, random data may be skipped until eternity if we've lost
sync. This cannot happen in MPEG and Ogg.

If it is resyncable, I suggest implementing that in the GStreamer
demuxer (or ffmpeg, or mplayer; they're all a copy anyway). Until then,
it is not resyncable, at least in practice.

Ronald

--
Ronald S. Bultje <rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net>