[gst-devel] a GstType for a musical note

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Fri Apr 15 00:21:20 CEST 2005

hi hi,

in gstreamer/gst/gstvalue.{c,h} we define custom g_value_types for e.g.
GST_TYPE_FOURCC, GST_TYPE_INT_RANGE, GST_TYPE_DOUBLE_RANGE, GST_TYPE_LIST,
GST_TYPE_FIXED_LIST, GST_TYPE_FRACTION

For audio-synth plugins instead of a frequency one usually supplies a keyboard
note, either as a number or in a 3 char notation (C-0, D#5).
I'd prefer to have GValue Type for it, rather that using a normal integer or a
direct frequency.

Again the question is where to put it. There core does not really need to know
about it (besides gst-inspect showing the proper param type of an elemnt).
Having this in plugins would be good, so that multiple plugins can use the same
type and apps can rely on the type.

Any ideas, comments.

Stefan