[gst-devel] a GstType for a musical note

Steve Baker steve at stevebaker.org
Fri Apr 15 21:23:01 CEST 2005

Its not as easy as that. There needs to be some way to map a note number
to an actual frequency, and the frequency can't be hard-coded.

Here is an intro to tunings:
http://home.earthlink.net/~kgann/histune.html

Also there should be a way to transpose each note by an arbitrary
frequency to keep in tune with other instruments (or change the key).

Because of this, managing tuning mappings within elements could get real
complicated real quick. I suggest that elements should just have
frequency params and you manage note/frequency mappings from your app.
The alternative is that you'll have to write a whole new subsystem to
handle frequency mappings that all musical elements can use.

cheers