[gst-devel] interposing / dup. symbols interest ...

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Tue Dec 13 05:21:11 CET 2005

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, michael meeks wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 15:40 +0100, Jan Schmidt wrote:
> > > 	Right; a link map or somesuch would be a good idea there I guess -
> > > should improve link performance too.
> >
> > What's a link map? How would it be handy? :)
>
> 	A link map allows you to control which symbols you want to export, and
> hence which are internally bound at link time; however it's almost
> always easier to just use the 'static' modifier for C method impl.s and
> (potentially) namespace cross-module, internal calls with a '_' eg.
> '_glib_do_foo' and then remove them with a regexp filter at link time
> [ I forget how that's done, but it's not too hard ].

FWIW GStreamer uses a regex to only export [_](gst|Gst|GST)_*
symbols, both from core and plugins. (as you can see in his list, all
symbols start with gst there, so it works ;)) I'd have made it stricter
but couldn't in 0.8 since plugins were allowed to link to plugins back
then. This should have been removed by David's stuff during the 0.10
transition so it would be a good idea to make plugins only export
gst_plugin_desc in 0.10. Or am I missing something?

Benjamin