[gst-devel] interposing / dup. symbols interest ...

michael meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Tue Dec 13 08:42:55 CET 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 14:19 +0100, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> FWIW GStreamer uses a regex to only export [_](gst|Gst|GST)_*
> symbols, both from core and plugins. (as you can see in his list, all
> symbols start with gst there, so it works ;)) I'd have made it stricter
> but couldn't in 0.8 since plugins were allowed to link to plugins back
> then. This should have been removed by David's stuff during the 0.10
> transition so it would be a good idea to make plugins only export
> gst_plugin_desc in 0.10. Or am I missing something?

	Sure - it'd be a great idea to ensure 2 things really:

	a) that the plugin exports as few symbols as possible
		objdump -T foo.so | grep -v '\*UND' | wc -l
	   just 1 or two external symbols is fine as you say.

and	b) that you g_module_open the plugin with G_MODULE_BIND_LOCAL

	b) of course stops other symbol lookup by applications becoming slower
by having to examine all the plugins in the global scope. [ to test that
use '$ LD_DEBUG=symbols gst-foo'.

	HTH,

		Michael.