[gst-devel] automated plugin testing

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Tue Feb 1 07:02:00 CET 2005

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005, Stefan Kost wrote:

> hi hi,
>
> I wonder wheter we could add example gst-lauchlines to plugin metadata in a
> non-api breaking way. If thats possible a test runner could fetch these lines
> for each plugin and check wheter the uses elements are available. If so it can
> try running the pipelines and report those that did not run or crashed.
>
> As a side effect the examples are good if someone wants to try the plugin.

It doesn't sound like a good idea to me to mix tests and plugin loading
code.
Apart from this I think people will forget to update these when they
change the plugin's elements and we end up with bitrotten code.

I have no better idea of where to put such examples though.
ANd I'm not sure what they would be good for either. gst-launch is pretty
much self-explanatory once you grokked it. That requires you to understand
it first, but that's necessary anyway if you want to use it.

Benjamin