[gst-devel] to much Delay to start playing audio

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Tue Feb 1 07:09:06 CET 2005

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005, Carlos Eduardo de Brito Novaes wrote:

> Hello everyone! It's my first post.
>
>  I have a LFS 6 system, and had compiled gstreamer (0.8.7 and 0.8.8) and
> gstreamer plugins (0.8.5 and 0.8.7) but i always get a large delay in
> playing music (MP3 more, OGG less). I tried many options and always get
> this delay, about 1 or 2 seconds, sometimes even more.
>  I saw this in amarok, but gst-launc gave the same delay and only when i
> play music (if I launch a gst with sinesrc there is no delay)
>
> So this is my results:
> gst-launch filesrc location=mytest.mp3 ! mad ! alsasink    --> got too
> much delay (about 2 seconds)
> gst-launch filesrc location=mytest.mp3 ! spider ! alsasink    --> got
> too much delay (about 2 seconds)
> gst-launch filesrc location=mytest.ogg ! spider ! alsasink    --> got
> some delay (about 1 second)
> gst-launch sinesrc ! alsasink    --> no delay
>
> Arts gave me immediate response in amarok (my buffer is set to 40ms), so
> i think it's gstreamer specific. Is there any configuration that I have
> lost? Someone have any clue or hint?

GStreamer itself needs at least 0.5 seconds, on older CPUs easily > 2
seconds to initialize when the application is started.
Everything else runs instantly (meaning < 0.1 seconds) - at least on my
box. So either your measurements are way off, your CPU is way slow or
something is screwed up on your box.

Benjamin