[gst-devel] Some questions

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Sun Feb 6 02:19:23 CET 2005

Hi Ryan,

On Sun, 2005-02-06 at 04:54, Ryan Norton wrote:
> 1)is there a "cross-platform" way to put video in a window, or is it only
> available on unix with the xoverlay plugin?

No. Not yet. We're interested in people with more OS X or Win32
knowledge and time to help us with that.

> 2)GStreamer builds on windows, but can it display audio/video on it?

No. We don't have dshow element wrapper plugins. See above. ;).

> 3)Is there a way to get/set the playback rate of both the audio and video
> streams?

Like 'play at twice normal speed'? Or 'play at 25 fps and 44,1 kHz'? As
for the first, yes, we have elements for that, btu they're not part of
playbin. You can create a bin (with a ghost pad) containing the actual
video/audiosink and the speed-changing element for this, and set that
element as video-sink or audio-sink property in playbin. The
audio-element is called 'speed', the video-element is called 'videodrop'
(although that appears to be deprecated in favour of 'videorate', which
again cannot do this, so this may not work at all in the end). For
forcing frame/samplerates, see audioscale and videorate. Audioscale is
part of playbin.

> Also, I'm using the playbin simplification to the GStreamer interface - is
> this what you recommend for a media widget

Yes, that's how we use it too.

Cheers,

Ronald

--