[gst-devel] Text rendering

Gergely Nagy gergely.nagy at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 13:37:00 CET 2005

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 21:58:21 +0100, Maciej Katafiasz <ml at mathrick.org> wrote:
> Dnia 20-02-2005, nie o godzinie 18:51 +0100, Gergely Nagy napisał:
> > Note, that the text renderer element would only create a buffer that
> > is large enough to hold the text, not as large as the whole frame
> > it will be rendered onto. This way the extra overhead coming from
> > the fact that renderer and blender are separated is insignificant.
>
> Not really, you kinda need to render to full frame (at least logically
> so), because subtitles are to be positioned precisely. If we were to
> render only "necessary" parts, it will make correct positioning
> impossible. As I refuse to pass positioning info via caps, it pretty
> much reduces to either RLE or what Jan proposed -- equivalent of X
> damage regions. I favor the latter, having RLE decoder inside imagemixer
> feels wrong :)

(Talking about something I have no solid idea on)

On IRC, it was mentioned that gstreamer 0.10 might handle dparams
similar to streams. Wouldn't that make it possible to "stream" the
position info to the mixer? And until then, the hackish method I used
in the scroller element (see bugzilla), that is, fiddling with
imagemixer's properties? That does not cover all cases, but until a
better solution can be devised, it seems good enough.