[gst-devel] summit conclusions + plans

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Thu Feb 24 10:52:18 CET 2005

Hi,

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 01:09 +0100, Maciej Katafiasz wrote:
> - What is our target with 1.0? Do we aim for 1.x being stable up to 2.0,
> or is 1.2 next ABI/API breaking release? If the former, it'd be probably
> good to try and think of possible places where breakage would be most
> likely to happen and design with that in mind (yes, I know it's hard to
> think more than 2 releases ahead)

1.0 will be done from whatever stable series we are happy with. If 0.10
suits our needs, we will call it 1.0 after a while, with minor changes
if required. Large changes will become 0.11, leading to 0.12 and 1.0.
1.0 is stable, application API (subset, still to be determined) will
definately be stable. We may keep plugin API or caps descriptions
unstable between minor releases (1.0 <-> 1.2), we haven't decided on
that yet.

> - What about 0.8 releases? Are we going to totally halt them, slow them
> down, or try to keep up with normal schedule? And does it make sense to
> keep someone maintaining 0.8, or is it better to spend maximum resources
> on 0.9?

No official policy, everyone is free to keep working on 0.8. I will. I
need it for GNOME. 0.9 won't be usable anytime soon fr at least a few
weeks.

> - before we go for branching 0.9, it'd be nice to allocate 2-3h to gang
> review all pending patches. We have 30 unreviewed, probably some
> reviewed but not commited that should be dealt with before. Total
> uncommited, not rejected patches is 33 right now:

I'll go over those before we release 0.8.8.

Ronald

--
Ronald S. Bultje <rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net>