[gst-devel] GStreamer and libcdio?

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Mon Jan 3 16:57:24 CET 2005

Hi,

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 01:18, R. Bernstein wrote:
> Bastien Nocera reports:
>  > I don't think Aldegonde is updated,
>
> Ah, but if it were using libcdio, it wouldn't have to be updated to
> get benefits from the improvements made to libcdio and it could remain
> simple, small, and compact. That's one of the cool things about using
> external special-purpose libraries. ;-)

Aldegonde is a pet project of mine to toy with features I want to add to
Totem at some point. Otherwise, it's nothing more but example code.
Aldegonde does not use fancy widgets such as nautilus-cdburn, because
those complicate the code rather than being a good example. Rather, it
should do what it aims to do, provide simple'n'working code, and nothing
more. It does exactly that. It's not neat, but that's not its purpose.
People will use Totem anyway. Totem uses the code and had it adapted to
use gnome-vfs (which is a good idea).

If you want to put the code anywhere, put it in Totem. Aldegonde is not
the right place.

>  > that's why we came up with our own code (well, Ronald came up
>  > with it).
>
> I have a feeling this too is just a little bit glib. Is it really true
> that Ronald was aware of libcdio and said, "Gee, since this libcdio
> thing doesn't do what I want so I'll write my own code"?

I was aware of libcdio and knew it didn't suffice at that point in time,
because that was stated in the bug reports as the status quo. I was also
aware of the fact that writing the code myself would take ~1 day, and so
I did. If libcdio were to suffice at some point without requiring too
much additional effort, we might see a reason to use it. Don't forget
that the current solution "just works".

> One last thing I find a little amusing. For totem and xine (the stated
> preferred back end)

(Don't forget this is the gstreamer, not the xine, mailinglist.)

Ronald

--
Ronald S. Bultje <rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net>