[gst-devel] gstreamer and qt

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Wed Jan 5 01:32:26 CET 2005

Hi,

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 08:49, Fredrik Berg Kjølstad wrote:
> I have tried to figure out if gstreamer can be efficiently used together
> with Qt and c++, but i can't find a final answear anywhere. I read
> somewhere that some kde people have been working on qt bindings, and on
> the gstreamer page i can see that there are some incomplete work in
> progress on c++ bindings.
>
> My question is this: Can I use gstreamer with QT and c++
> "easily"/smoothly, or if not, can it be done at all?

The bindings are not uptodate. I've developed a sample KDE application
(see http://ronald.bitfreak.net/me/kiss.php), and other KDE people have
developed audio players (e.g. JuK and AmaroK) which use the GStreamer
backend. There might be more, but this is the ones I know of.

If, by easily, you mean to use Qt/c++ events and all that, then no, C
does not allow for that, so you'll have to work around that. GStreamer
uses signals. You can translate signals into events using wrapper calls.
Kiss shows how to do that. AmaroK and JuK are somewhat larger, but they
probably do the same thing.

However, even though GStreamer is not c++, it's still well doable, given
that some people already did it.

Ronald

--
Ronald S. Bultje <rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net>