[gst-devel] A few quesions about gstreamer

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Mon Jan 17 01:14:06 CET 2005

Hi,

On Sun, 2005-01-16 at 18:52, ecmproute wrote:
>          One of the things that I am thinking of doing in order to
> help the spread and use of GStreamer, is to create a simple table, or
> add in already existing documentation, which would say which API is
> functional in which states, and what actually happens in terms of
> states when that API is called. I would make my point clearer with an
> example, though the example may not be correct:
> gst_element_unlink:
> State Information:
> 1) The two elements to be unlinked should be in X state. If the
> elements are inside a bin/thread, the state of the container should be
> Y.
> 2) If any of the elements/container bin/thread is not in the X state,
> the operation might fail/the state of both the elements will be taken
> to X.
>
> Now to provide this kind of information, is there any easy way to generalize?

Those things are currently best solved by trial and error. In playbin, I
think we can link elements and add elements to groups while in the
PLAYING state. However, in order to unlink elements and remove elements
from groups, we have to be in PAUSED (or it'll crash).

I can add this to the docs - where would this belong in the application
development manual?

Ronald
--
Ronald S. Bultje <rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net>