[gst-devel] gst-player configure problem

Maciej Katafiasz ml at mathrick.org
Sat Jan 29 04:45:40 CET 2005

Dnia 29-01-2005, sob o godzinie 11:11 +0000, Robert Osfield napisał:
> > You make some mistakes here. Don't compile yourself, it's a hell. We
> > know. Don't do it. Simply use packages. We provide packages for all
> > dependencies on our website, plus all gst packages. Secondly, gst-player
> > is deprecated and unmaintained, don't use it. Use totem.
>
> You provide packages for Fedora and RedHat, but... the not all the world uses
> either of these...
>
> I am currently on a Suse9.0 system, I also have Suse9.1 system here, and will
> install 64 bit version of Suse9.1 and Suse9.2 version.  My user community
> also uses Windows, many flavours of Linux, OSX as well as FreeBSD, IRIX etc.
>
> I realise I probably won't be able to support all these options, at an
> absolute bare minimum I need to support the various flavours of Linux, and
> ideally the rest of the platforms, in particular Windows and OSX.  It appears
> from the Gstreamer website that it might port to these platforms, but there
> isn't any packages, so source code compile I presume is a must.
>
> Now, just installing stuff from source *shouldn't* be difficult, if it is
> difficult then perhaps its something that needs to be addressed if the
> Gstreamer project is to be a successful as open source/free software world is
> crying out for a good cross platform, multi-media development toolkit.

Compile will always be somewhat demanding in that the number of
dependencies is big, and will grow over time, since that's the part of
the point of gst-plugins' existence -- to make plugins that make use of
code out there. But even so, it's not impossible to do -- I am running
Debian system myself (which includes gst packages, I admit, but I don't
even remember how they look like ;) My daily gstreamer copy is built
from CVS checkout to allow hacking, and all I can say is that I didn't
have any unsurmountable problems with building. So it can be done. One
thing I'd recommend is to stick to distro packages as much as possible
when installing support libs, sometimes they are heavily patched
compared to upstream versions, especially in things like .pc files and
such.

> If gst-player is deprecated only works with certain version of gstreamer etc
> would it be possible to add mention of this in the online documentation, and
> mention totem instead.  Or perhaps just provide a bare bones application to
> test that the GStreamer libraries and plugins are functioning.

All mentions of gst-player should have been removed from site, and
bugzilla product removed. If you find any stalled references, it's a bug
to be fixed. As to bare-bones reference code, there's Aldegonde. But try
totem, it really is _the_ gstreamer player right now, and pretty much
serves as reference about how to playback with gst.

--
Maciej Katafiasz <ml at mathrick.org>