[gst-devel] gst-player configure problem

Robert Osfield robert at openscenegraph.com
Sat Jan 29 03:08:10 CET 2005

Hi Ronald,

Thanks for the quick reply.

On Saturday 29 January 2005 10:51, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> You make some mistakes here. Don't compile yourself, it's a hell. We
> know. Don't do it. Simply use packages. We provide packages for all
> dependencies on our website, plus all gst packages. Secondly, gst-player
> is deprecated and unmaintained, don't use it. Use totem.

You provide packages for Fedora and RedHat, but... the not all the world uses
either of these...

I am currently on a Suse9.0 system, I also have Suse9.1 system here, and will
install 64 bit version of Suse9.1 and Suse9.2 version.  My user community
also uses Windows, many flavours of Linux, OSX as well as FreeBSD, IRIX etc.

I realise I probably won't be able to support all these options, at an
absolute bare minimum I need to support the various flavours of Linux, and
ideally the rest of the platforms, in particular Windows and OSX.  It appears
from the Gstreamer website that it might port to these platforms, but there
isn't any packages, so source code compile I presume is a must.

Now, just installing stuff from source *shouldn't* be difficult, if it is
difficult then perhaps its something that needs to be addressed if the
Gstreamer project is to be a successful as open source/free software world is
crying out for a good cross platform, multi-media development toolkit.

If gst-player is deprecated only works with certain version of gstreamer etc
would it be possible to add mention of this in the online documentation, and
mention totem instead.  Or perhaps just provide a bare bones application to
test that the GStreamer libraries and plugins are functioning.

I'll try out totem and see how I get on.

Cheers,
Robert.