[gst-devel] rtp plugin

Li Juan GUO li-juan.guo at st.com
Thu Jun 30 03:02:20 CEST 2005

Hi Flavio,

The following are some examples you have send to me.

gst-launch-0.8 udpsrc multicast_group=239.255.42.42 ! rmpeg12audiodec ! mad
! alsasink
gst-launch-0.8 filesrc location="test.mp3" ! rmpeg12audioenc rtpheader=1 !
udpsink host=239.255.42.42

gst-launch-0.8 udpsrc multicast_group=239.255.42.42 ! rmp3adudec ! mad !
alsasink
gst-launch-0.8 filesrc location="test.mp3" ! rmp3aduenc rtpheader=1 !
udpsink host=239.255.42.42

Could you tell me that rmpeg12audiodec, rmpeg12audioenc,
rmp3adudec,rmp3aduenc,etc are rtp plugins or not?

In my understanding, rtp is general protocol and codec independent. So I
wonder why to write different plugin for different media format, for
example, rmpeg12audiodec and rmpeg12audioenc for mpeg, rmp3adudec and
rmp3aduenc for mp3.
Is there any special reason (performance, efficiency  or any other
requirements specific to media format )to choose such method? why cannot
implement rtp plugin in the manner similar to udp plugin, i.e. rtpsrc and
rtpsink?

If these plugin are rtp plugins, which rtp library do they depend on? I
download code from CVS:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/farsight/gst-plugins/gst/rlive/, and
read some files, such as gstraacaudiodec.c, gstraacaudioenc.c, I donnot find
the disposal related to rtp packet.

I also read the files in gstreamer,
\gst-plugins-0.8.9\gst\rtp\gstrtpgsmenc.c and gstrtpgsmparse.c. In these two
files, RTP packet disposal is put in the the functions gst_rtpgsmenc_chain
and gst_rtpgsmparse_chain.
In gstreamer, it also define different plugin for Raw audio and GSM audio,
is it obligatory?

Thanks a lot.

Best Regards
Lijuan