R: [gst-devel] Create a secure level

Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller uraeus at linuxrising.org
Mon May 2 07:08:11 CEST 2005

Hi Domenico,
There is a plugin locking mechanism on the drawing board which to some
degree tries to address this issue. But in the end there is no 100% safe
solution, if someone wants to save the stream and have the will/skills
to do it they can. The plugin locking will allow you lock a plugin to a
specific application so that it can't be used for anything but the
intended use with the default installation of GStreamer. Of course if
someone replace GStreamer with a patched version, or patch X Windows, or
patch the kernel and so on they will be able to get around this. All you
can ever hope to do is make it a bit more cumbersome.

Anyway if you want to know more about the planed plugin locking you can
mail jan at fluendo.com as he is working on it and can give you some
details about his current thoughts on the subject.

Christian