[gst-devel] 0.9 and prerolling

MDK mdk at mdk.org.pl
Tue Sep 13 06:31:23 CEST 2005

Hello,

I really like the prerolling mechanism in 0.9, but I'm stuck on
certain problems with it. For example, how can I preroll the following
pipeline:

filesrc ! avidemux

By "prerolling" I mean creating the actual pads on avidemux. I'm aware
of the fakesink technique Ronald recently described in regard to
decodebin. But It doesn't really work here, since avidemux doesn't
emit "new pad" signals (the "temporary" fakesink would always timeout)

I have a feeling (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the new design
is highly optimized towards simple playback/streaming/transcoding
applications, while it leaves more advanced engines/use cases behind.
Another issue is the new threading system - which is great for simple
& fixed pipelines, but very limiting if you want to write some more
complicated stuff.

Best regards,

--
Michał Dominik K.