[gst-devel] LiveSupport 1.0 released - based on gstreamer, including a SMIL gst element

Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller uraeus at linuxrising.org
Tue Sep 13 08:39:31 CEST 2005

Hi Akos,
Your software looks nice, great stuff! I will leave answering your
specific technical questions to others, but here is a reply to some of
the things you raise.

> We've developed our own minimal audio SMIL gstreamer element, as there
> was no SMIL element as yet for gstreamer. We also had to write a couple
> of other elements, and patch a number of existing gstreamer elements.
> You can find the our gstreamer element sources under the
> modules/gstreamerElements directory in the LiveSupport source tarball,
> or browse our subversion repository here:
> http://code.campware.org/projects/livesupport/browser/trunk/livesupport/modules/gstreamerElements/src/

Any chance you could license these elements under the LGPL instead of
the GPL? Being LGPL is a pre-requsite for us to consider including them
in one of the upstream GStreamer plugins modules.

> our patches against the gstreamer sources can be found here:
> http://code.campware.org/projects/livesupport/browser/trunk/livesupport/tools/gstreamer/gstreamer-0.8.10/etc/
> all of witch have been submitted to the gstreamer bugzilla as proposed
> bugfixes.
Thanks :)

> I'd like to thank the gstreamer team for all their efforts in developing
> this project. I wonder if the LiveSupport project could get on the
> GStreamer applications page among other projects that use gstreamer:
> http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/apps/
Of course, I make sure you get added.

> - 0.8 or 0.9?
>
> I see that most of the activity is going on around 0.9 nowdays. what do
> you suggest us to do? try to stick with 0.8 for the moment, or try to be
> an early adopter of 0.9? I see that plugins have to update for 0.9 - is
> there a list of already available plugins, and / or an update guide?

Yeah, we are very strongly focusing on 0.9 atm as the goal is to get
0.10 out before Christmas, so I would at least take a look at 0.9 if I
where you to get a feel for how it stands in regards to your needs.

There is a porting chapter in the Plugins Writers Guide.

Christian