[gst-devel] problem setting sink buffering parameters - leads to horrible skipping

David Mansfield gstreamer at dm.cobite.com
Mon Apr 10 09:31:06 CEST 2006

Hi,

I'm trying to play a file that is coming from a slow network drive.  The
drive is slow, but has about 3x the bandwidth as should be necessary to
play.

However, the I/O 'read' request is not being issued in time to provide
the buffer to the pipeline in time, and the audio skips horribly.

I attribute this to insufficient sink buffering, as that is really the
only part of the pipeline I have full control over (via
gstreamer-properties).

To debug, I am trying the following:

gst-launch --gst-debug-level=1 filesrc \
  location=file.mp3 ! \
  mad ! \
  audioconvert ! \
  audioresample ! \
  osssink latency-time=2000000 buffer-time=10000000 \
    preroll-queue-len=1

I have tried both alsasink and osssink, with various settings for
latency-time, buffer-time,nd preroll-queue-len, none of which make one
whit of difference.

Is there something I'm missing?  How do I force read-ahead on the pipeline?

David