[gst-devel] video thumbnailer?

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Tue Apr 11 14:45:02 CEST 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 00:07 +0530, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
> Until recently, I was using gnome-video-thumbnailer to pull out a single
> frame from a video to use as a thumbnail.
>
> I upgraded some gnome packages and gnome-video-thumbnailer disappeared.
> I presume that nautilus now creates thumbnails without forking.

No, it probably uses totem-video-thumbnailer. It's included in Totem and
gnome-video-thumbnailer was a link to it in the past few versions of
GNOME in Debian and Ubuntu.

> So is there a simple command line script (gst-launch?) which I can use
> to create a thumbnail for MPEG video?  It would be cool to skip 10% of
> the frames but I'll take the first frame if that's simpler.

Totem skips 33% inside the file, or the first few frames if the video is
less than 10 seconds. Should be easy enough to modify if you recompile
your Totem.

Cheers

--
Bastien Nocera <hadess at hadess.net>