[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] burger gst-plugins-base: gst-plugins-base/ gst-plugins-base/gst-libs/gst/rtp/

Philippe Khalaf burgerman at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Apr 13 16:02:09 CEST 2006

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 00:48:33 +0200
Thomas Vander Stichele <thomas at apestaart.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> > > We decided that it would be easier for everyone involved (esepcially
> > > the overworked release manager) that it's better to freeze HEAD for
> > > a brief (2-3 days) period of time.
> > If the freeze really is that short then it is not an issue. But I don't
> > know if 2-3 days really is enough (or realistic) to iron out a frozen
> > release of any important bugs.
>
> The modules only get frozen *after* they've passed some fairly involved
> testing already.  As long as I know about any regression at all, they
> just don't get frozen, period.  Which is why this freeze happened more
> than a week after the tentative freeze date - there were too many
> accidental regressions being encountered. It took some time to find and
> fix them all.
>
> I don't think the system is that hard - if you are unsure, you come on
> IRC and you check.  We expect most people that have commit access to CVS
> to be around on IRC anyway.  If you want different ways of being
> notified, let me know - but unless we switch our versioning system,
> branching for each release is probably not going to happen any time
> soon.
IRC is fine. The system isn't hard I was just giving some
suggestions.

On another note after this release I would probably like to finally get
all the RTP stuff into gstreamer CVS, as well as remove the redundant
code in some of the base classes that was left for API compat. Also
update those docs on the gstreamer website.

This includes rtpbin, rtpjitterbuffer and rtpdemux. As well as the new
audio payloader base class. As a note rtpbin can now compile either
with or without jrtplib, depending on how much RTP functionality you
need. Currently they are in farsight darcs.

Anyways we will talk more about it in detail on IRC after this freeze
is done.

Regards,
Philippe