[gst-devel] how to tailor gstreamer to embeded device?

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Wed Apr 26 06:40:02 CEST 2006

Hi,

> Q1: how to tailor gstreamer core?
> There are several subdirectories in gstreamer, but I
> think I shouldn't enter all subdirs to run "make
> install" , so which subdirs are mandantory?
> Are "gst","libs","plugins" and "pkgconfig" necessary?
> What are the functions of those subdir?

You really should look into them.  If you can't figure out what's in
pkgconfig then you should understand what's in there before you attempt
to do what you want to do.

gst is mandatory, though through compile options you can disable some
features.  Run configure --help.

libs is going to be necessary for a lot of plugins.  plugins contains
base functionality that you can choose to compile if you want a
GStreamer that doesn't do much.

Basically, it's so easy to not install a whole lot of stuff GStreamer
builds, and it depends on your actual application on what you would want
to leave out.  None of us can say if for example you need to have "tee"
or not.

> Q2: how to tailor glib and libxml?
> Gstreamer maybe use little function of glib and
> libxml, but full installation of those is too huge. I
> want to only install the minimum function set of glib
> and libxml to meet gstreamer, what should I do?

You have to look at what you can disable in GLib yourself.  A lot of
people have run GStreamer on ARM platforms, so this is definately
doable.  If you mean to actually compile out GLib code, you'll have to
experiment.  libxml can be disabled in the GStreamer build, at the cost
of losing the registry caching.

Hope that helps,
Thomas