[gst-devel] Problem choosing the right scheduling mode

Dominique Würtz housirer at gmx.de
Sun Aug 6 10:42:13 CEST 2006

Hi,

I'm currently trying to implement an element which generates peak
information (min/max value pairs) from audio data to be used for
waveform drawing. Reading through the PWG and experimenting with the
various scheduling modes, I found each mode to be unsuitable for
different reasons I want to explain below. The main issue with my
element is the possibly significant input/ouput buffer size ratio:
* For very low zoom factors, you take many audio samples and ouput a
relatively small number of peak values.
* OTOH, a high zoo factor means taking only a bunch of samples and
render them into a large chunk of peaks (say 1 sample could be displayed
50 pixels wide)

So here is what I found when evaluating the scheduling modes:

1. chain-based: incoming (audio data) is pushed on the sink pad. This
works ok of low zoom factors, because I can collect the incoming buffers
(for ex. using a GstAdapter) push out the generated data once I have a
sufficient amount of samples at the input. However, for high zoom
factors, it won't work (well). In this case, I have to generate a large
number of peak data for a relatively low number of input samples. This
is bad, firstly because I think buffer sizes of maybe 100kbytes are
simply bad practice and secondly large buffers mean possible overhead,
because the downstream element could only need part of the data,
discarding the major part of the expensively calculated data.

2. GstTask-based: this would basically work well. Main problem here is
that it requires the upstream elements to provide random access, which
unfortunately not the case for elements like wavparse and actually not
required for my task.

So to sum things up, at this point I see no way to get things done with
current GStreamer but I'd be glad if someone come up with an idea.

Just as a suggestion, the optimal scheduling mode for this kind of
element would be an additional pull-based chain mode: a chain callback
is attached to a _source_ pad where data is pulled (no random access!)
from sink pads. The new gst_pad_pull() function could then also be used
as an alternative to get_range() in GstTask-based elements, making it
possible to connect chain-based elements upstream.

I hope I explained myself properly and appreciate any comments!

Cheers,

Dominique