[gst-devel] Licence question

Michael Smith msmith at fluendo.com
Fri Dec 1 13:03:48 CET 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 11:55 +0000, Ian Oliver wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> OK, so this isn't a great opening question for my first on this list,
> but I hope you'll all bear with me.
>
> I've read the GPL and LPGL many times, and also the gstreamer FAQ
> document chapter-legal.html.
>
> I just need to be 100% sure that a proprietary media playing
> application (that actually does much more) can be linked with gstreamer
> and can then use proprietary plugins (written by us)

That's absolutely fine.

Note that if you change any of gstreamer ITSELF (including the plugins
distributed with gstreamer), then you're required to provide the source
for those changes. However, your own seperate plugins are not part of
gstreamer, and you don't need to provide source for those.

Also, note that many of the plugins in the gst-plugins-ugly,
gst-plugins-bad, and gst-ffmpeg repositories have different licensing
requirements, and you may not be able to use them commercially.

The things in core gstreamer, plugins-base, and plugins-good are all ok,
though.

Mike