[gst-devel] XVImageSink Fullscreen patch.

Julien Moutte julien at moutte.net
Mon Dec 18 16:05:20 CET 2006

I m attaching Snaik reply which didn't go to the list :

== snip snip ==

Hi Julien,
thanks for the reply.

actually ive got into a situation that led me to do this.
u see, im writing a command line application (not GUI based), and i
wanted to have the video output
in fullscreen mode. something like mplayer

i believe that the XOverLay interface allows u to embed the videosink in
a Widget
and so going fullscreen does't seem to be much of a problem.

but in my case, i guess thats not possible.
or is it still possible to go fullscreen in my case?

i appreciate any help in this regards

regards
snaik

== snip snip ==

And my answer to both of you :

Snaik :
When developing a command line client you can still create XWindows and
resize them (a window manager being one example :-) ), you don't need to
write a widget and there are sample applications demonstrating this in
GStreamer's repository itself (see
gst-plugins-base/tests/icles/stress-xoverlay.c)

Daniel :
I understand your POV and you are not the first one to consider
gst-launch that way. IMHO this is a design issue: GStreamer plugins are
designed to do as few things as possible, going fullscreen is a media
player feature and involves several tricky points (xinerama,
interrupting with key presses, etc...).

If you want to use gst-launch like this i'd recommend writing a
gst-launch wrapper that would handle all that stuff for you : catching
the have-xid message on the bus, resize the window, listen for
keypresses and so on.

Julien.