[gst-devel] XVImageSink Fullscreen patch.

daniel fischer dan at f3c.com
Mon Dec 18 14:26:03 CET 2006

Julien Moutte <julien at moutte.net> (on Mon, 18 Dec 2006 12:06:37 +0100):

  > I don't think it's interesting to incorporate this kind of feature in
  > the plugin itself.
  >
  > Going fullscreen is an application issue and should not be handled by
  > properties, gst-launch is not a player it's just for testing.

Julien,

no offense meant, but i disagree completely. To me, gst-launch is much more than a test tool- it's a universal pipeline builder. I did quite a few things that got started with gst-launch, as no complex application logic was involved. I've worked around the fullscreen problem that Snaik wants to adress by using the ratpoison window manager. gst-launch is also great for doing some ad-hoc streaming.

I agree though that plugins shouldn't get full of application-like features. I've never complained about the switch in v4lsrc from using a property for picking the device to using a full-blown interface-- i've just used "v4lctl setinput" after i launched the pipeline. (and using an interface is obviously the Proper Way(TM))

Nevertheless, this kind of shell-hacking is what linux is built for, no? I'd recommend to Snaik to subclassing xvimagesink to add the functionality. I have no solution for his problem though, sorry.

-dan

--
http://0xDF.com/
http://iterative.org/