[gst-devel] Gstreamer application development

jodim jodim at innomak.co.uk
Wed Dec 27 23:24:24 CET 2006

Greetings,
    First of all I would like to congratulate all gstreamer coders &
gurus out there for their continued effort to provide the Linux
community with a media framework nearing the caliber of existing
commercial libraries.

Now for the question:

    We have a requirement for a video capture application that should be
able to grab 2 or more video sources, encode them to disk in mpeg2
format while at the same time display them in the screen. Now, the
container is a KDE C++ application and using Kiss as a guide, we have
implemented a self contained QT widget that takes an uri and plays the
video overlayed to its windowId(). This works fine for as long as we use
only one widget.
    BTW, we are using playbin as the element to play the test movie. If
we try adding another widget, i.e. using two playbins, only one of them
is ever displayed. After some debugging, we tried using gst editor to
better understand what is happening. We used two test videosources
directly conected to two xvimagesinks. The editor failed to start
playing with the following error message:

"/pipeline0/xvimagesink1: Resource busy or not available.

    Additional debug info: xvimagesink.c(740):
gst_xvimagesink_get_xv_support: /pipeline0/xvimagesink1:
No port available"

    However, if we use aasink as the sink elements, multiple video
outputs work with out trouble. The question I would like to ask is
whether its possible to have 2 or more xvimage sinks displaying video
concurrently and if affirmative, what would be the best way to
accomplish this.

Apologies in advance should this email be off topic.

Best Regards,
joe