[gst-devel] Multiple video editing

Noe Nieto tzicatl at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 20:30:46 CET 2006

Happy Holydays to everybody.

The place where I am working has a very specific project (sorry, we cannot
give too much detail, I hope you understand). It is needed to watch several
streams of video or images over the network. The camera we are using is this
one:
http://bssc.sel.sony.com/BroadcastandBusiness/DisplayModel?id=67347

A test project was made using python as a web server and JavaScript and
mozilla in the client side. We can actually watch upto four IP cameras all
at the same time. The cameras push an MJPEG stream which Firefox / Mozilla /
Netscape understands very well.

The problem is that Firefox eats up to 95%CPU power when watching this four
streams, thus lowering the frame rate and making a sluggish user
interaction, so is for IE.

The time has arrived to expand the project and have several streams (more
than four). Now I have to consider different systems for this approach,
including closed-source solutions. Of course, as a linux enthusiastm, I'd
love to base our software ontop of GStreamer.

The first question for the GStreamer developers is How much CPU power can
consume a GStreamer application that has 10 or more streams playing and
recording to disk? What are the system requirements to handle this kind of
load? I have not been able to do check that yet because of my lack of
proficiency with GStreamer.

That's the reason I am contacting you.

Thanks in advance

P.D.

Previously, I tried to contact Immendio to request their support, but it
seems that their mail server is down or something (Undeliverable mail).
Immendio people: I still want to get in touch with you.