[gst-devel] Use of GstElementFactory::klass property

Andy Wingo wingo at pobox.com
Tue Feb 28 06:33:03 CET 2006

Hi Edward,

On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 13:46 +0000, Edward Hervey wrote:
> GstElementFactory has this, seamingly, very useful property called
> klass. The only documentation about it however is lost somewhere in
> the description of the GstElementDetails structure:
> "gchar *klass; 	 type of element, as hierarchy"

Ooh, this is a nice one.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.gstreamer.devel/3609
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.gstreamer.devel/4900
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.gstreamer.devel/5521

> The proposition is to first document properly every class hierarchy
> somewhere (What should go in every (sub-)level, what's the policy on
> creating new (sub-)levels, ....). This is useful both for application
> and plugin developers, so I guess it should go in the ADM.

There should not be levels. We should just interpret the class as a
slash-separated keyword list. (Slash-separated for backwards
compatibility.)

Go for it dude,
--
Andy Wingo