[gst-devel] What is the order in which I have to compile.

Tim Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Wed Jul 5 13:53:59 CEST 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 16:50 +0530, Dathathreya.Krishnabhat at nokia.com
wrote:

Hi,

> Gstreamer modules are in http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/modules/
> What is the order in which I have to compile.
> I have compiled gstreamer- core library and elements..
> y ultimate aim is to compile the Gstreamer and make Aldengonde run in
> Fedora Core machine.
> When I compile gst-plugins-0.8.12, I get the compilation errors saying
> gstreamer-0.8 not found. I have Gstreamer-0.10.8 in my m/c. My
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH is
> /home/datha/glib-2.10.0/lib/pkgconfig:/home/datha/liboil-0.3.8/lib/pkgconfig:/home/datha/gstreamer-0.10.8/lib/pkgconfig:
>
> I have also set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include glib-2.10.0, liboil-0.3.8
> and gstreamer-0.10.8
> Can anybody tell me what is wrong in my steps… :-(

Basically, the GStreamer-0.8.x and GStreamer-0.10.x series are for most
purposes like completely independent libraries. They can be installed at
the same time and know nothing about each other. Plugins for each series
are installed into separate locations as well and are not compatible.

In short: you will need to install

 * gstreamer core (0.8.12)
 * gst-plugins (0.8.12)

for Aldegonde. You'll need nothing GStreamer-0.10-related for Aldegonde.

Having said that, you should really go for GStreamer-0.10 if you are
just starting with GStreamer, since GStreamer-0.8 isn't maintained any
longer (for all practical purposes at least).

 Cheers
  -Tim