[gst-devel] vorbisenc speed

Fridtjof Busse fbusse at gmx.de
Mon Jul 10 20:48:21 CEST 2006

* Benjamin Otte <in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de>:
> The first question to ask is:
> Are you sure you used the same encoding parameters every time? It
> might be that the defaults differ and the vorbis-tools do more work.

Nope, just quality 6 in both cases, nothing fancy. Done with abcde for
vorbis-tools (just a shellscript that calles oggenc with the parameters
I specify) and sound-juicer on gnome for gstreamer.
Sound-juicer is at least twice as fast.

> Other than that, 90% of the code in vorbis-tools and GStreamer is the
> same. The difference is just how the data gets fed into the encoder
> and how the encoded data is later stored. But the heavy stuff (the
> encoding) is in both cases done by libvorbis.

And that's the reason I'm surprised there is such a great difference in
speed.
This is very intersting, I'll have to look into it more closely :)

--
Fridtjof Busse