[gst-devel] about bin type

Tim Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Thu Jul 13 14:41:22 CEST 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-13 at 12:28 +0000, woo john wrote:

> At clause "what are bin" in chapter 6 of Application development manual,it
> says,
> "There are two specialized types of bins available to the GStreamer
> programmer:
> * A pipeline: a generic container that allows scheduling of the containing
> elements.
> The toplevel bin has to be a pipeline. Every application thus needs at least
> one
> of these. Applications can iterate pipelines using gst_bin_iterate () to
> make it
> process data while in the playing state.
> * A thread: a bin that will be run in a separate execution thread. You will
> have to use
> this bin if you have to carefully synchronize audio and video, or for
> buffering. You
> will learn more about threads in Chapter 16."
>
> As I know from many people, A pipeline absolutely has a thread.But here it
> seems to say no thread in pipeline. Furthomore,I hardly hear the bin type "A
> thread". Could somebody give deeper explanation about it?

That documentation is outdated (still refering to GStreamer-0.8). This
part of the docs has actually been updated for GStreamer-0.10, but it
seems the link on our documentation page points to an older version of
the Application Developer Manual where this hasn't been updated yet.

It's best to use the documentation linked to from the 'HEAD' link and
ignore the docs under 'stable 0.10.x' (at least until we fix this).

 Cheers
  -Tim