[gst-devel] about bin type

woo john wuym2000cn at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 13 14:28:54 CEST 2006

hi,
At clause "what are bin" in chapter 6 of Application development manual,it
says,
"There are two specialized types of bins available to the GStreamer
programmer:
* A pipeline: a generic container that allows scheduling of the containing
elements.
The toplevel bin has to be a pipeline. Every application thus needs at least
one
of these. Applications can iterate pipelines using gst_bin_iterate () to
make it
process data while in the playing state.
* A thread: a bin that will be run in a separate execution thread. You will
have to use
this bin if you have to carefully synchronize audio and video, or for
buffering. You
will learn more about threads in Chapter 16."

As I know from many people, A pipeline absolutely has a thread.But here it
seems to say no thread in pipeline. Furthomore,I hardly hear the bin type "A
thread". Could somebody give deeper explanation about it?

Thanks in advance!

woo